Sardines filled with parsley and garlic
I found these very fresh and nice sardines the other day, I found this very promising recipe* for grilled sardines that I love, and that’s what I got:
*from the Volume I, Ethnos newspaper “Cookbook, 365 recipes”
It serves 4 (or 2 hungry ones like us…)
- 1 kg fresh sardines
- 2 tbls coarse salt (I put less because I had to put some more in the end)
- 3 smashed garlic cloves
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 120 gr. grained crumbs (I grained barley bread)
- 4 tbls finely chopped parsley
- 1 small chopped chilli pepper (I put half non chilli green pepper)
- 1 lemon (its scrap and juice)
- 50 ml white dry wine
- Salt, peper
- Clean the sardines by pulling the head, its offal and try its spine and bones as well. If you can’t make it with spine and bones, leave them as they are but they will get less stuffing and you will have to try a little bit more when eating them (take off the bones, I mean…)
- Wash them well, salt them and let them drain until we made the stuffing
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients (garlic, parsley, olive oil, bread, chilli or green pepper and lemon) except for wine, salt and pepper.
- Stuff the sardines with a half or more of the stuffing mix and place them close to each other with the stuffing looking up in a baking pan.
- Pour carefully the wine, some salt and pepper (I also poured ~one tbls olive oil) over the sardines and bake them in a preheat oven at 170ο C/338ο F for about 15’ (I grilled them at 200ο C/ 392ο F because my oven makes fish very crunchy outside and tender inside in this function! Choose your way!)
- Serve straight out from the oven. Drink the rest of the wine!