Vegan walnut meat-less-balls!
Ok, ok, I know that all my friends will laugh at me with this post title!
“Vegan”! I just wanted to try this peculiar recipe which doesn’t contain any meat although they are “meatballs”! I like all delicious kinds of food no matter what their label is -vegan or anything else- as long as it is cooked with fresh and seasonal ingredients, slowly with care, with balance in taste, smell, touch, colours and umami (!) sense etc, etc, etc…
So, going back to the vegan meatless balls, I quote the exact words of chef Argiro Barbarigou from the book “Aegean’s recipes” which made me cook these exceptional walnut balls: “Whoever tastes them will be surprised and will not believe that they actually didn’t contain any meat at all, except for walnut!”
Whoever you are, vegetarian or not, you will love these walnut meatless balls!
- ½ kg finely grained walnuts
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 1 grained onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1 raw grained potato
- 2 cups of stale bread
- Salt, pepper
- Flour and olive oil for frying
- Sink the bread into the milk until it softens, squeeze it and make it crumbs
- In a big bowl add all the ingredients and mix well: bread crumbs, walnuts, onion, garlic, potato, egg, yogurt, salt and pepper.
- Make balls, flour them and fry them until they become brown.
I actually baked them and they were great too. Eat them hot!