Mushroom pie with cheese but without phyllo
The truth is that I am not fond of mushrooms. And to be honest, they have a neutral taste to me with a few exceptions; eating them grilled or fried with garlic and wine.
And of course, I have to mention the unique mushroom sweet, made just like fruit jam, that mushroom cooker-blogger Dimitra Vergou urge me to taste at the 1st Greek Food Bloggers Camp: I was curious about what I was going to taste and astonished when a tender and sweet syrup filled me with joy and excitement! There was no way to figure out what that dessert was made of, If I hadn’t seen myself that it was mushroom indeed!
So, how did this pie come up? Well, when I read the ingredients of this recipe from Gastronomer’s book “Salt tarts and pies” by Ntina Nikolaou, I thought that this mushroom recipe will probably be one of the exceptional ones above.
And I was right! Cheesy, tasty and quick for mushroom lovers or not!
• 4 tbsp olive oil + a little bit more for greasing a pan
• 400 gr fresh white round mushrooms chopped in fine slices
• 3-4 fresh onions chopped finely
• 4 eggs + 1 extra more, slightly bitten in a separate bowl for the end
• 100 ml fresh milk + 3-4 tbsp more for the end
• 400 gr yoghurt
• 250 gr semolina
• 1 tbsp baking powder (not full)
• 500 gr feta cheese in very small pieces
• 300 gr grained cheddar or gruyere
• ½ bunch of finely chopped dill
• Pepper (I didn’t add any salt, because feta cheese is too salty. Taste first.)
1. Preheat the oven at 356ο F
2. In a frying pan heat olive oil and put the mushrooms until they brown for 3-4’
3. Add the onions and let them brown too for at least 3’ more and remove the pan from the heat
4. In a big bowl, mix well the 4 eggs, 100 ml milk and yoghurt
5. Add semolina, like a falling rain, stirring continuously and then baking powder mixing it too
6. Add the browned ingredients, feta, cheddar or gruyere, dill and pepper and stir well. Put the mixture into a greased medium pan
7. In the bowl with the 1 beaten egg, add the 3-4 tbsp of milk, stir and pour it all over the surface of the mixture pie
8. Bake it for 45’ at the medium of your oven