Cake with spices and orange-lemon
Pasted to my scrapbook for a long time, this recipe by Popi Chrysanthidou (11/2007 Eleftherotypia’s Gourmet magazine), waited patiently for its turn…
And now, the time has come, and I, the delighted cook, baked it, filled home with Christmas spice smell and enjoyed it writing it down to Wonderfoodland for those who missed this recipe!
I wish to all people Merry Christmas, close to beloved persons, pets or things!
- 250 gr all purpose flour
- 170 gr confectioner’s sugar
- 160 gr olive oil
- 160 gr orange juice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- A pinch of clove
- Zest of half orange
- Zest of half lemon
- 60 gr almond powder
For the icing
- 150 gr confectioner’s sugar
- 25 gr orange juice
- Preheat the oven at 338ο F.
- In a big bowl mix well with a whisk olive oil, orange juice, confectioner’s sugar and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and both zests –orange and lemon)
- Add almond powder, shifted flour with baking powder and mix well.
- Pour the mixture in a 20 in. mould and bake for 45-50’.
- When you take the cake out from the oven and while it is still hot, spread all over its surface the icing which you‘ll make by mixing the confectioner’s sugar with the orange juice in a bowl.
- The icing was too thick like a cream with these proportions, so maybe I would make it a little bit thinner next time, by adding less sugar, so as I could spread it easier.
- The recipe didn’t call for greasing of the mould and so I did without having any problem indeed. I suppose that either the olive oil of the recipe helps or that my mould is a very good non sticky one… Do what you feel better…