Roasted chicken with yoghurt and green peppers –under its skin!
I have seen in many magazines and cookbooks this idea of stuffing chicken not only in its belly but also under its skin.
I searched for it in my bookselves but in vain! It’s classic: you can never find what you need when you search for it. It pops up only when you don’t need it any more…
So, I opened my fridge, got out whatever ingredients I thought they would match with chicken and here it is!
- 1 chicken
- 3 tbsp yoghurt
- 1 big green pepper chopped in a multi
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp mustard
- Juice from 1 lemon and its rinds
- ½ glass of water filled with white wine
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp Provence herbs mixture (if you don’t have, mix a small pinch of dried: rosemary, thyme, oregano and basil)
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- Preheat the oven at 392ο F. Wash thoroughly the chicken inside out and put it in a pot (preferably that can be covered with a lid)
- Mix well in a small bowl: yoghurt, chopped pepper, smashed garlic, mustard, lemon juice, oregano, provence herbs, salt and pepper.
- Carefully with your fingers separate the skin from the chicken’s breasts as deeper as you can. With a teaspoon, fill the gap with some yoghurt, peppers and stuff mixture as much as you can. Turn the chicken over and do the same the other side. If there isn’t any kind of opening in its skin, do it yourself with a knife and then do the fingers’ job! Spread the chicken all over with some mixture along with the wine and olive oil and fill its belly with any remains. Put the lemon rinds in the belly too.
- Bake with the lid on for ~1-1 ½ hour or until you can fork the meat and then remove the lid and bake for more 15’ from each side until it is golden.
You might also like