Two colored strawberry and cocoa cake
Strawberries or bananas with chocolate is a combination that really makes me crazy.
Well, when I saw this cake with the strawberries and cocoa combo, I just had to bake it. And I did.
And you know what? When I was still preparing it I was staring at this intense red color of the strawberries’ pulp and the chocolate mixture and I was sure that it will be a delight. And it was. Just a not-to tip: use the vanilla extract of the recipe for the aroma! I didn’t have any, I was bored to get out and buy some and used almond extract. Wrong! -for this recipe!
And after presenting you all the background of this cake making –useful or not-, here is the recipe!
Check this out!
By Efi Papadopoulou, greek magazine Gourmet.
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- ¾ cup of soft butter or olive oil
- 3 cups of all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 ½ cup strawberry pulp (smash strawberries in a blender so as to get this amount. If you don’t like strawberries or they are out of season, add some milk or orange juice or yoghurt 2% fat, at the same amount -1 ½ cup.)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 full tbsp of cocoa, sifted
1. Preheat the oven at 338-356ο F, butter and flour a cake mould 26-28 in. I used small muffin mould and put baking sheets. If you don’t put the sheets, butter and flour the muffin mould too.
2. In a mixer put the sugar and the eggs and beat them until you get a soft cream.
3. Add butter or olive oil and keep on beating. Slow down and add strawberry pulp, vanilla extract and lemon zest and mix well.
4. In a slow motion or without the mixer and with a big spoon, add the shifted flour and mix softly until the mixture is smooth.
5. Split the mixture in two and add to the one the sifted cocoa. Mix softly.
6. If you use a big cake mould, add the strawberry mixture first and then the chocolate one on the top without mixing them. Bake it at 356ο F for 45-50’ or until a knife blade comes out clean from the centre of the cake. If you use muffins mould, share the strawberry mixture to the cases and the chocolate one on the top of it without mixing it as well. I got 17 muffins with the whole mixture. Bake the muffins at 356ο F also for 35’ or until you get a knife’s blade clean again!
You might also like: