Souvlaki anyone? With chicken kebab. And the 3 D’s.
There is this wise greek saying: “Learn a craft, leave it aside and practice when you are hungry”.
So did I. In these “dark” ages, I have to practice more with new techniques: the one of wrapping souvlaki!!
Well, what you may not know is that for this famous greek street food, souvlaki, there is specialized personnel for wrapping greaseproof paper around the souvlaki pitta before offering it to the costumer. And that, my friends, is a skill, most wanted!!
So, I took that defrosted chicken mince, got out of the freezer those whole wheat souvlaki pittas, sliced nice red tomatoes, a small onion and grilled chicken kebabs for my homemade souvlaki!
Oh, and don’t forget my baked “a la fried potatoes” and tzatziki: mix a cup of whole fat strained yoghurt with a grated small cucumber very well squeezed, grated garlic (as much as you like), salt, pepper and a few drops of extra virgin olive oil.
Wrap all these in a pitta and off you go!!
And if you have wrapping problems, let me know!
For about 8 long kebabs
- ½ kg chicken mince –half chest, half legs
- 1 big grated onion
- 1 grated garlic clove
- 1 egg
- 1 full tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sumac
- 4-5 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Salt, pepper
- Wooden sticks (optionally)
- Preheat the grill at 428-446ο F and put some baking paper over a baking sheet –or just grease it.
- In a big bowl, pour all the ingredients and mix them very well with your hands until they are united. Place it to the freezer for 10’ if you are in a hurry, or for 20’ in the fridge in order to firm.
- Put the bowl out and with wet hands take some mince and make long kebabs around the sticks (if you use any). Keep your hands wet, because chicken mince is very sticky and soft –don’t bother, it will firm when grilled.
- Grill the kebabs for 30’. In the meantime, turn them on the other side. While the kebabs are grilled, you can just heat the pitta breads to a lower rack.
- Wrapping project: take a piece of grease paper (about 20x40cm) in your palm, place a pitta over it with half of it uncovered on top and put everything in it: a kebab, 2-3 tomato slices, 2-3 onion slices, some potatoes, a tbsp of tzatziki, lots of pepper. Wrap them in the pitta and fold it tight with the paper, “sealing” it underneath with the rest of the paper! Well, that guarantees that you will not miss anything while biting!
The 3 D’s:
Drink them cold
Drink them all!
You might also like: