When I went to Peru. Along with a chicken casserole.
It was then when I travelled to Peru.
When I first saw it.
When I first read it.
And when I tried to cook it, tasted it and travelled with my senses.
And with the whole cassarole in my hands.
To that place.
To Machu Picchu, to the magic world of Inca, to the tropical forest.
With the thick cocoa drink and the hot chili.
With just one bite.
With closed eyes.
With this post.
With this recipe of chicken with spinach, rice and coriander.
By Tessa Kiros “Falling cloudberries”
- 4-6 chicken breast fillets, cut in big pieces, not cubes.
- 100 gr fresh or frozen spinach, well washed
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 carrots in cubes
- 500 gr rice, arborio or even long grain
- 50 gr fresh or frozen chickpeas
- 1/2 red hot chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, only its leaves. If you can’t find any use parsley
- 1 tsp cayen pepper or strong paprika
- 1 cup of olive oil
- salt, pepper
It is very well served along with a yoghurt sauce:
- 250 gr strained yoghurt
- 1 tsp cummin
- 2 tsp olive oil
- First, put the spinach and the coriander into the multi, along with about 1/2 cup of water, and make a puree. Leave it aside.
- In a big casserole, pour the olive oil and let it hot. Put the chicken pieces and fry them altogether until they become brown from all sides. Take them out of the casserole with a spoon.
- In the same casserole, put the garlic, carrots, pepper and chickpeas and stir for ~5′. Then add cayen pepper, the spinach-coriander puree and stir again.
- Add the fried chicken, salt and pepper. Add some water too, until the chicken is almost covered. Stir well, put the lid on and let it boil on medium heat until the chicken is almost ready.
- Then add the rice. If there is any liquids left in the casserole, add less water than usual, which means that, if the rice is 3 cups then you’ll add about 5 cups of hot water. Stir well, add some more salt if needed, put the lid on again and let them boil on low fire.
- When the rice is ready too, take the casserole out of fire and let it aside for 5′.
- Serve with big spoons of everything in every plate along with the yoghurt sauce -just mix all its ingredients together.
- Have a great journey!
You might also like: