Food for Good: an event, a cause, lots of joy. Oh, and an apple pie with halva that was never shot…
There is a great distance between having an idea and getting it accomplished. It passes through a lot of different stages: from rejection to excitement, disappointment, courage, arguments, agreements, delays, postpones, exhaustion, laughs (a sore knee), sleeping late hours. And last, thank god, lots of joy and a great satisfaction.
This is what happened when 8 food bloggers decided to organize an event that would combine food and its offer for a cause. A good cause.
And this is the Food for Good event.
And what the above flyer says is that on Saturday the 21st of December 2013, 20 food bloggers welcomed their friends, relatives, known and unknown people at a beautiful place called Romantso at the centre of Athens where they enjoyed a variety of food and desserts made by the bloggers in order to gather money for the NGO “Life Roads” which, since 2000, supports families in need -economically, ethically, practically.
40 different sweet and savory plates, 20 food bloggers, about 300 visitors and countless smiles and joy is the result of the Food for Good event along with a unique connection and friendship between the 8 bloggers that organized the event:
And the rest of the bloggers that were invited to take part offering their delicious plates are:
Marilou, Kostis and Dimitris: Madame Ginger
Katerina: Culinary Flavors
Lia: Olives & Olive
Tassos and Anna: mama peinao
Nikolas: Cooking Diary
Last but not least, the Food for Good event would not have happened without the kind support of the Haitoglou Bros Company, the Romantso free space offering and the products’ offering by: Nestle, Epiros cheese & Adoro, Ariadni, Stefos, Alevizos.
We also thank everyone that were with us that day and all the media that referred to the event.
P.S. And this is the recipe for the apple pie with sesame halva that was never shot but eaten all!
Recipe adapted by the site of Haitoglou Bros SA
For the base:
- 25o gr digestive cookies smashed in powder
- 150 gr melted butter
For the filling:
- 3-4 apples cut in cubes (+as many as you may need to cover the surface of the apple pie, cut in thin slices)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp grounded cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cognac or brandy
- 50 gr vanilla sesame vanilla halva in small pieces
- sugar for sparkling
- Start from the base: in a bowl mix together with a spoon cookies and butter until you get a moist sand-like mixture.
- Spread it to a round pan to cover all its surface and press it with the back of the spoon or with your hands. Put it the fridge until you prepare the filling.
- Start preparing the filling: put in a non stick frying pan butter, apple cubes, sugar and cinnamon and mix well over medium heat until the apples caramelize and are slightly soft.
- Pour cognac, mix and let it over the fire for 1-2′. Take it off the fire and leave it aside for 5′. Preheat the grill at 22o C/428 F.
- Take the base out of the fridge. Spread the filling all over the base. Sprinkle with the sesame halva pieces.
- Cover completely the filling with the thin slices of apple. Sprinkle with sugar everywhere and put in the oven for a few minutes until the sugar melts. Take it out of the oven and let it cold.
You might also like: