Nut about nuts! Roasted, caramelised, spicy almonds.
Yeap! I just love nuts.
Especially if they are roasted. And when I do the roasting then it’s not going to be that simple.
I’ll get out of the pantry all of my spices and herbs, I will imagine the taste and I will make combinations.
And above that, I’ll add my honey or my amazing grape syrup. Or both.
This time, I’ll deal with almonds, local ones, from Kavala at Southern Greece. Because they were offered to me with love and because they are delicious.
And I eat them all by myself. Or with company.
With a nice drink. Or not.
With any reason. Or no reason at all.
Spice up your life.
Taste these almonds.
Adapted recipe by Joy the Baker
- 2 cups of raw, unsalted almonds
- For the one cup of almonds: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 pinch of coarse salt, 1 pinch of fresh ground pepper, 1-2 tbsp grape syrup
- For the other cup of almonds: 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp coriander, 1 pinch of coarse salt, 1 pinch of fresh ground pepper, 1 tbsp honey
- You can even add your own favorite spices and herbs to any combination and quantity. Just use your imagination!
- Preheat the oven at grill mode at 210C/410 F. Line up a baking pan with grease paper.
- Spread the almonds all over the pan and put them in the oven to roast for about 10′. In the meantime, mix them to get roasted from all sides. Be careful not to burn them, that’s easy to happen.
- Take the pan out from the oven and half the almonds as they are in the pan. Add the ingredients of the one cup to half of them and mix well. Don’t let one on the other.
- Add the ingredients of the other cup to the rest of them and mix well. Don’t let one on the other too.
- Put the pan again into the oven for about 3-5′ more.
- Take them out of the oven and let them cold before storing them in a tin box. But I don’t think they’ll find their way to the box. You can’t resist them when they’re out from the oven!