Sweet squid with potatoes, celery roots and petimezi. Yum.
Seafood is a kind of food that many people are “afraid” to cook because they think is difficult or time consuming or anything.
Well, my friends, seafood is actually such a quick, healthy, tasty and easy to cook kind of food that is combined with so many other things, from pasta to vegetables and rice, besides from being served alone.
This time, I chose to cook squids. You can either choose to buy fresh ones -but you have to clean them if your fishmonger won’t- or get frozen ones, as I did which are a very good and of great quality too choice.
Ι grabbed a few potatoes, a couple of celery roots waiting patiently for their turn into the vegetables’ drawer of my fridge and my petimezi, which turns everything into something else. If you can’t get any, add some vinegar syrup with a pinch of sugar, or some honey, or some dark sugar alone. But give it a try and search for it.
Here you are!
- 500 gr of squids clean and cut in big pieces (I got a package of frozen, clean, cut in big pieces squids)
- 5-6 big potatoes, clean and cut in hedges
- 2 celery roots, clean and cut in hedges
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 250 gr tomato puree
- 3 tbsp petimezi
- 1 bay leaf
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- In a big pot, pour some olive oil -just to cover the bottom of the pot- and let it heat on high heat.
- Pour the onion, garlic, potatoes and celery roots and stir them for about 2-3′. Add squid and stir for about 2-3′ more.
- Add tomato puree, petimezi, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cover almost all the ingredients with water. Stir some more, put the lid on and let them boil on medium heat until all the ingredients are soft -about 30′.
- Eat with lots of nice bread for the delicious sauce and drink wine.
For this recipe I cooked with the squids of the greek company Kallimanis